Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Week #13

I liked the idea of doing a very limited value, monochromatic study, so I tried it using a lot of wet into wet, especially on the trees.

Then Paul suggested that their branches felt a little overwrought, and we talked about doing more of a quick hit to define the overall shape of the tree, and only indicating the branches with small gestures.

Ironically, though I like the little practice sketch above, I really don't like how the trees came out in this last image. Arggh...they're not light feeling at all. I do, however, like the drybrush effect of the sky in the background.
I also used a different type of paper which is much yellower and much more porous. Rather than sinking into the crevices this paper just grabs the paint, almost like a sponge and soaked it up.
I may try this painting again later in the year. I'm still fighting the urge to get detailed. 

1 comment:

  1. First sketch is awesome! Maybe blending out the edges of the branches on that treatment would have done as well or better than the sculpted second approach?

    ReplyDelete