Monday, October 12, 2015

Paint Donuts! Paint Donuts?

I belong to a great, usually small group of painters at Pixar who get together early on Friday mornings to paint still-lifes. This open class was started by the beloved Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi, who have since left Pixar to run their own Tonko House. If you haven't seen their great short film, "The Dam Keeper", it's worth watching.
These two men did a lot at Pixar to foster growth in "seeing" and many of us miss not having them here at work every day encouraging others to grow. They named the group "Paint Donuts", because initially that's what they painted in their still lives. Then, of course, they'd eat their subjects. The painting class continues on, and the attendance ebbs and flows depending on who's really busy and who has a little time. Plus, it's not easy getting to a painting group at 8 a.m. on a Friday.
Lately we've been focusing on longer setups; which can run from 2 to 4 sessions. Here's one that we tackled in August and September.

First, my initial value sketch:
This is about 3" x 2"

Here's my full painting, which is somewhere around 17" x 22". I find that when I'm in the Friday painting group, I tend to paint more loosely, which is a lot more fun for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment