Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The COVID Chapter


"Things Are Looking Up"
22 x 17" watercolor

I wanted to create a really strong, graphic painting, and the key to it, for me, was that big blue sky. I often paint the key objects and throw in the background later, but this time I decided to drop that big blue field first. I aspire to paint like Mark Adams did, with his pristine, flat washes of watercolor. 
This was not to be:
I made the error of painting on 140lb watercolor paper, which, though it was well-taped on the edges and the back, completely warped, causing the pigment to pool in vertical rivulets. After putting that failed effort aside I grabbed a sheet of 300lb paper and started again. The sky still isn't nearly as flat as I had hoped it would be, but I am happy with the graphic quality of the image. 




No comments:

Post a Comment